Google Season of Docs Project Report -- My works with CHAOSS

My Project Work

During the past three months, I worked on building documentation for CHAOSS D&I Badging project as an intern of Google Season of Docs, which is a really wonderful experience.

The work is about building documentation for a young project of CHAOSS: D&I Badging project,  the project is a peer-review system, using badge as the final review result, and CHAOSS D&I metrics as the review references. So applicants and reviewers are two important roles, there should have clear and elaborate guidance to show them what to do, how to submit the application, and how to review with a checklist on GitHub.

some of the works are based on my mentor Aastha and Matt, the final documentation structure is quite alike with that in my proposal:
  • Overview of the D&I Bading
    • An overall introduction to the badging project and badging workflow.
  • How to contribute
    • As a newcomer who is interested in the project,  how to participate and what contributions can be made 
  • Apply for a badge
    • For applicants who wish to apply for the badge, what 
  • Reviewing For CHAOSS
    • Guidelines for reviewers and how should a reviewer work with the review checklist
  • Badging Roles
    • There are four different roles in badging project: applicant, reviewer, moderator, maintainer; this section talk about respective responsibilities and FAQs
  • The badging-bot
    • Introduce the GitHub app badging-bot integrated in the workflow; the command and permissions.
  • D&I Bading Code of Conduct

Project link and Commit History

The complete documentation is merged in CHAOSS community handbook as the "D&I Badging" subsection and finally hosted on the Gitbook platform. To see the project result, please visit: https://handbook.chaoss.community/community-handbook/badging/overview
Note that only all the pages of the "D&I Badging" section are written by myself, other pages are proud works of another GSoD intern of CHAOSS project.

Gitbook can automatically synchronize with GitHub, so all the documentation commits are recorded on the corresponding GitHub repository, please visit the link to see all my commits history on the Community Handbook repository: https://github.com/chaoss/community-handbook/commits/master/badging

Unofficial Project Link and More Commits

There is actually another Gitbook link which was built as the badging project documentation in the preliminary stages of my internship, but documentation on this link will not be maintained in the future, we use the handbook link above instead as the official project documentation address, but more commits history and changelogs can be viewed through this Gitbook corresponding repository, please see the commits history here: https://github.com/badging/documentation/commits/master

Bottom Line

Reviewers and applicants of CHAOSS D&I badging project can use this documentation as guidance on how to obtain or issue D&I badges.

It's been really great to have the chance of working with CHAOSS and join the community, I would like to thank every community members and the Season of Docs committee. Especially thanks to my mentors Matt S and Aastha B, they really helped me immensely during the process.
 





Comments